Change Starts Here
The Hastings & Prince Edward region is a more beautiful place, after more than 100 volunteers worked to support community agencies through United Way HPE’s annual Day of Caring on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. Volunteer teams worked at different locations belonging to United Way partner agencies throughout the day. Volunteers rolled up their sleeves to complete hands-on projects that these agencies wouldn’t normally have the means to accomplish. The work fit with the United Way HPE’s mission to Improve Lives Locally and build community by engaging individuals and mobilizing collective action.
The 2018 Day of Caring was made possible by the support of 12 agencies, 18 workplaces, 12 sponsors and more than 130 volunteers. And it led to 642 hours of labour.
Also worth noting, as a result of the Day of Caring:
- 2 sun shelters were built to protect little ones for playing outside.
- 19 raised garden beds were built so people now have access to fresh vegetables all over HPE.
- 2 picnic tables were built, including an accessible one so everyone can enjoy the convenience of eating outside.
- 400+ fresh vegetable plants were planted.
- 4 flower gardens were built to make homes or locations more welcoming.
- 1 parking lot was transformed into a welcoming neighbourhood gathering spot.
- 3 mud kitchens were built from scratch so kids can get dirty while they play.
- And countless other small jobs were completed to add to the impact of the agencies we support.
Day of Caring a Success
“Day of Caring gives donors and supporters an opportunity to peek behind the scenes to see what agencies are doing to improve lives locally, while understanding how their donations work to help those most vulnerable”
-Kathy Murphy, Executive DirectorRead More
Our Day of Caring 2018 Title Sponsor
United Way Hastings & Prince Edward Day of Caring 2018 was also generously sponsored by: